OpenMaps is a non-profit, open project with the following goals:
- creation of digital routable maps of countries in Central-Europe for both motorcar and hiking navigation, mainly based on GPS-measured data
We want our maps to include
- all the public roads
- every marked hiking trails
- other roads and paths
- "points of interest" (POI) (settlements, buildings, show-places, etc.)
- land cover (cities, woods, lakes, rivers, etc. - based on CLC2000 database)
- land contours (based on SRTM data)
- sharing these maps for free
- providing these maps in various formats. We would like to produce downloadable maps for most of the GPS handhelds, PDA softwares, etc.
- gathering a wiki-like community for creating these maps on a multilingual web page
- providing map materials for other non-commercial usages
We are also generating on-line maps in both raster and vector format.